The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Thick Crust / Thin Crust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Is it the Crust or is it the Sauce?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Thick Crust / Thin Crust Reply with quote

I just got an email from Alice, who asks:

Hi..can you tell me what's the difference between a thin crust and
thick crust pizza base?

Here is my Response:

Hi Alice.

The difference really to me is an issue of the thickness of the pizza crust and the type of pizza being made.

The thin pizza is known as Neapolitan pizza. This was the type of pizza favored there. This is also known as New York pizza. This is the type of pizza made in New Haven, Connecticut, also. This is the type of pizza, I am most familiar. This is the type of pizza I usually make.

Thick crust pizza on the other hand uses a much thicker base. It is also known as Sicilian pizza (or on Long Island, New York, Grandmother's pizza). Ususually this type of pizza is served in a rectangular pan. In Rhode Isalnd when I grew up most of the Italian Bakerys would sell this type of pizza.

Some people think just using more dough in your pizza makes a thicker crust and I think this is true.
A thick crust takes a little longer to cook.

I hope this answers your question.

albert

Can I get some other thoughts and opinions from everyone else here?
I would love to hear what everyone else thinks.
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
love=pizza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Thick Crust / Thin Crust Reply with quote

[quote="pizza"]I just got an email from[b] Alice,[/b] who asks:

Hi..can you tell me what's the difference between a thin crust and
thick crust pizza base?

Here is my Response:

Hi [b]Alice [/b]

The difference really to me is an issue of the thickness of the pizza crust and the type of pizza being made.

The thin pizza is known as [b]Neapolitan pizza[/b]. This was the type of pizza favored there. This is also known as [b]New York pizza[/b]. This is the type of pizza made in [b]New Haven[/b], Connecticut, also. This is the type of pizza, I am most familiar. This is the type of pizza I usually make.

Thick crust pizza on the other hand uses a much thicker base. It is also known as [b]Sicilian pizza[/b](or on Long Island, New York, [b]Grandmother's pizza[/b]). Ususually this type of pizza is served in a rectangular pan. In [b]Rhode Isalnd [/b]when I grew up most of the Italian Bakerys would sell this type of pizza.

Some people think just using more dough in your pizza makes a thicker crust and I think this is true.
A thick crust takes a little longer to cook.

I hope this answers your question.

albert

Can I get some other thoughts and opinions from everyone else here?
I would love to hear what everyone else thinks.[/quote]
I suspect be it thick or thin is at the end a matter of preference.
I like the thinner ones, perhaps because I feel it is kinder to my waist line![b][/b]
JoeBaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Thin Crust and Thick Crust Reply with quote

Well, it's not a simple task to make Thin Crust. It requires a lot of experience and good hand on baking part. After years of practice I came to know how to make a perfect pizza crust. Here is a small tip for you. Preheat oven to five hundred degrees and put the rack as low as possible in the oven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Is it the Crust or is it the Sauce? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: