The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Testing Dough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonborn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Testing Dough Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a way to test "Cooked" dough without having to make a pizza every time. I have tried about 10 recipes and none seem to work for me taste wise. I would get really expensive to make 20 pizzas in one day just to try crust. I hope there is a way I am looking for a new york style with a chewy outer crust. Every one I have tried so far has fallen short in taste or is rock hard on the outer crust and undone on the rest.

I use a stone and preheat it for over an hour at 550.

Thanks in advance

DB (mike)
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us a little more to go on?

For example, what do you mean by falling "short on taste"? What do you think is missing that you would like; or what's there that shouldn't be?

And, of the recipes you have tried, are there elements that are common to each? If you can share some of the recipes, perhaps someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

I have been trying a dough recipe for deep dish pizza to make "regular" pizza, because I find the crust is a little lighter. The recipe substitutes corn meal for some of the flour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dragonborn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going back and forth with 2 recipes tweaking one with the other.

the Recipes are as follows (Yes the first one says only 2/3 cup water on the print out but of course I had to add more)

2 pkg dray yeast
2/3c warm water
2 t sugar
3 T corn oil
2 T sugar
1 t salt
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 t dry oregano
6 1/2 - 7 cups flour

2nd one
2 t active dry yeast
1 1/4 C warm water
2 t sugar
1 t salt
3 c all purpose flour

I make them both in a Kitchen aid mixer

it just seems that no matter what I do it either tastes like card board or the crust is burnt. I am at a lose. Thats why I'm trying to find a way to cook crusts with out having to go all the way by making a pizza. that way I can keep trying and not go broke trying.

thanks
DB(Mike)
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike, that information should help others help you.

My observations, for what they're worth......

The first recipe has some spices added. Myself, I would perfect the dough before I tried to add anything else for flavor. You can always add spices or flavor in the sauce.

It also calls for a pretty small amount of water given the volume of flour.

Have you tried Albert's pizza dough recipe? I've never gone wrong with that one, although I have adjusted it and tried some different things, like substituting a third of the water with some (basic) red wine.

A basic rule of thumb I look for in a pizza dough is the proportion of water to flour, and it seems that I consistently see 3 cups of flour to 1 cup of water.

I think you're right in preheating your stone as you do. And baking the pizza in a really hot oven seems to be correct also.

You might try substituting some cornmeal for some of the flour. That will give you a very different consistency in your dough. The recipe I use for deep dish pizza calls for 1/2 cup of cornmeal with 5-1/2 cups of flour. For a basic pizza crust, I think that would be 1/4 cup of cornmeal to 2-3/4 cups of flour. I only use olive oil, but you can omit the oil altogether. Stay with the other ingredients, but I would cut the sugar back to 1 teaspoon. Dissolve the sugar in the warm water, add the yeast and let it set for 5 to 10 minutes, until it "foams". Then add the other ingredients and rock & roll.

Another factor is how long you mix (knead) the dough. Don't overdo it.

You can get some good information on dough at http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

Hope that helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dragonborn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you for the timely answer. I still dont know if I can cook just the dough for testing or do I need to make a full pizza.

I will try your suggestions next batch I make... Might be a bit I'm broke but have plenty of flour and yeast
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just make the dough, without all of the toppings.

And you can also cut the proportions in the recipes, so you don't have to make a full crust to test it. Just make a sample, bake it, and see how you like it. Keep in mind that it will not take the same time to bake without toppings. You will be basically baking a flat bread.

One thing to consider, though, is (I think) that it is the entire combination that makes the pizza. There has been discussion here on the forum as to whether it is the crust or the sauce that "makes" the pizza. Personally, I think it's the combination - each compliments the other. But if you don't have a pizza crust that you like, you're not going to enjoy the overall experience, and that seems to me to be your issue. So, perfect that, and away you go!

Keep us apprised of what you find out! I, too, am eager to learn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: