The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Using a Webber kettle for pizza oven,suggestions welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Wood Fired Ovens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKevenson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Using a Webber kettle for pizza oven,suggestions welcome Reply with quote

I purchased a RedSky pizza stone for use in my Webber kettle 22" seen here:

http://www.redskygrilling.com/

I have also done some research on the web site BBQ Bretheran, regarding use of this stone in the kettle.

It seems many cooks are getting a good crust with undone toppings using the method suggested by Red Sky. This method says to put coals completely under the stone, heating for 10-15 min, adding wood for smoke flavor, and cooking.
It has been suggested that it is better to bank the coals, using a more indirect heat.
I have decided to use the RedSky coal arrangement, but I am going to put my stone on two fire bricks,set on grilling grate. This will give more space from heat source to stone and get the top of the pizza, closer to the grill dome where the heat would be concentrated,
I will monitor the stone temp with an infrared, and the dome temp with a Maverick probe.

I will report back with pics, hopefully later today.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mark
MKevenson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: pics of cook Reply with quote

here is the kettle set up:

Here is the dome temp and stone temp:

Here are the makins, coppa, pepperoni, mozzarella and smoked mozzarella
Tomato sauce, home made

Pizza on the table ready to go

The crust ready to eat

The topping, mmmmm good

On the plate with Parmigiana regiano

The crust was a little tough but crispy, the toppings good, wish I could get it hotter in the weber. I have an idea. Stay tuned for pizza on the weber #2

Mark
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice! I just recently bought a stone for my gas grill and paid about 40 bucks. I only used it once but it was nice to cook a pizza on the grill. I have natural gas piped in to my grill and I have a hard time getting over 500F...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Wood Fired Ovens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: