The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Pie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Pie Reply with quote

This was really yummy! I doubled the dough because my new cast iron pan is deeper than my Lodge.

*I used Italian sausage and topped it with turkey pepperoni (mixed it up with the tips below).

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Pie

Notes below in the recipe are not mine, but "Jeff's". Wink

Crust:

1 3/4 cups flour (7.7 oz.)
1/4 cup cornmeal (40 g.)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 package dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tb. water (4.75 oz.)
OR
1/2 cup plus 1/2 tb. water (4.25 oz.) and 1/2 oz. crushed garlic (this crust is my deviation from the original recipe)
3 tb. Olive oil (42 g.)

Assemble the above as you would any yeast dough, and let it rise once. I like to let the dough rise overnight in the fridge.

An alternate method of preparing the dough is one that I use for most of my pizza recipes.
Into a standard sized food processor, place all of the dry ingredients, including the yeast.
Pulse the dry ingredients to combine and then pour the combined wet ingredients through the feed tube in a stream.
When the dough forms a ball, let the dough process for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, enough heat is generated to activate the yeast.

Put the dough into a non-reactive container, cover and let rise. If time permits, let the dough rise in the fridge overnight. I’ve never bothered to bring the dough back to room temperature before assembly and baking the pizza, and I have yet to be disappointed with the results.

Into an oiled 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet, pat or roll the dough out dough to cover the bottom, and about 1 and 1/2 inches up the sides. If the sides of the dough don’t want stay up, and they tend to shrink back down, don’t worry. As the topping ingredients fill the pizza during assembly, it is easy to push the sides back up, by pressing down into the “corners” of the skillet. The filled pizza will keep the sides in tact.

In the order given, layer the following ingredients into the dough.

Cheese:

1/2 pound of shredded cheese (I use equal parts of aged Provolone or Asiago, whole milk Mozzarella, and Jack)
1/2 pound cooked crumbled sausage
2 chopped cloves of garlic (of late, I now thinly slice garlic with abandon, and probably end up using 6 or more cloves, which is about an ounce.
One 14 ounce can of chopped tomatoes, drained well in a strainer.
1 1/2 tsps. dried Oregano, crumbled
2 tb. (.5 oz) Parmesan cheese

If desired, you can completely assemble the pie, and keep it in the fridge for hours before baking.

Place cast iron skillet onto the middle rack of a COLD gas oven. Turn the heat to 500. When it reaches that temp, turn the oven down to 400, and let the pizza bake for 30 minutes. In a gas oven, only the bottom heating element is used during the preheat, and the toppings will not burn during the fairly long preheat to 500 degrees, and the 30 minute bake time at 400 degrees.

I am not sure if this deep dish pizza baking technique will work in a standard electric oven, as the preheat cycle may make the bottom and top broiler elements both heat the oven. But if you have an electric oven which has a “pure convection” mode (where the heat comes only from behind the back of the oven), I have had excellent results. I have a Dacor convection wall oven that has one convection fan. I also have a Wolf convection range, which has 2 convection fans, and they perform in a slightly different manner.

For my Dacor wall oven, I place the assembled pizza into the middle rack of the COLD oven. Set the temperature to pure convection 475. When the temperature reaches this point, reduce the heat to 375 pure convection, and time for 30 minutes.

For my Wolf range with 2 convection fans, I place the assembled pizza into the middle rack of the COLD oven. Set the temperature to pure convection 450. When the temperature reaches this point, reduce the heat to 350 pure convection, and time for 30 minutes.

The above recipe, I’m told is standard for a Chicago Deep Dish Pie. I have particularly been impressed with the concept of chopped canned tomatoes, versus a sauce. Somehow the chopped canned tomatoes seem to meld into a different texture, and they are not watery at all.

After making this pizza for years, I now have my own rendition of a Chicago Deep Dish.

I omit the cooked crumbled sausage.
In order I place the following ingredients:
Cheeses from the above recipe
Tomatoes from the above recipe
Garlic from the above recipe
Oregano from the above recipe
Parmesan from the above recipe
Sliced black olives to taste
Sliced mushrooms (I used canned, well drained) to taste
3.5 oz. of thinly sliced Pepperoni, fanned out in concentric circles, to completely cover the pie.
Baking in the cast iron pan, with the intense heat transfer, creates the crispiest, yummiest pepperoni you’ve ever had, as long as you put it on last. It’s like Pepperoni “bacon”.

Enjoy!

Source - Jeff

Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago deep dish is my absolute favorite. Italian sausage and extra mozzarella oh man!

I have a stone dish I use and set that on my preheated pizza stone. Comes out really good.
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics!!!

Smile
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some pics around here somewhere but I can't find them. Confused

Good thing I posted this pic 100 other places. Laughing

This one was one of my best from the stone dish. Have to make sure to use it on a regular pre-heated stone tho.

Bean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a BIG pic! Nice pie! Smile

Recipe?
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
That's a BIG pic! Nice pie! Smile

Recipe?

Yep, my camera is like 10 years old and I can't figure it out. A 3 MP I think. Laughing

I'll hunt down my recipe and post it. Very Happy
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... I can't find the exact recipe I used for that one, but this one at King Arthur is identical. The only thing I didn't add to the crust was vegetable oil, but I will next time. Other than that it's the same recipe. It's a nice crispy flaky kind of crust.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza-recipe
Bean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that in my "To Try" folder. Smile
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to stock up on my cast iron pans when I find some good thick ones.

I really hit it out of the park with this recipe, everyone loved it. Cool
Bean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Lodge cast iron pans. I have a huge collection, storing is a pain though.

I hear a lot of people looking for and finding good seasoned pans in thrift stores, though I’ve never seen one when I’ve been. Maybe even garage sales. Not much of those I suppose with the weather you have?
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not to many garage sales this time of the year. We have a few of those salvation Army stores in town and a good will place. That would be a good place to check I bet!

I've seen them at Gander Mountain but they were crazy expensive and not to thick from what I remember.

A quick search turned up this:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stansport-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Cook-Set-6-Pc-16903&i=449659

Not to bad I guess Question
Bean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same at Amazon, a bit cheaper.

Mixed reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Cast-Iron-Piece-Cookware/dp/B001XUS6AC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387370702&sr=8-1&keywords=Stansport+Pre-Seasoned+Cast+Iron+Cook+Set
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm... the only thing I don't like is the "made in China", only because I am familiar with the grades of metal and other stuff they put out (junk). Embarassed

I'll keep lookin! Very Happy
Bean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at WM today and they have a boxed set, of course I didn't get the brand or remember the price, but it was a heck of a good deal (a box was open and they seemed nice). If you have a WM, check and see if they carry the set. They were on the bottom shelf (below the Lodge).
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM = Walmart? Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Recipes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: