The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
High gluten flour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: High gluten flour Reply with quote

I am looking for the perfect pizza dough recipe that reminds me of the pies that I grew up on in South Jersey. I have all the right equiptment, (pizza stone, peels, KA mixer and new oven that will bake at 555 degrees.) Many of the recipes that I have used call for a high gluten flour which I have not been able to find so I have been using a supplement called 'Vital Wheat Gluten Flour.' My question is "can I use bread flour instead?" I would also like to know if anyone has a dough recipe that resembles New York style pizza when baked. Thanks for your help.
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gluten and have added it to bread flour. It works well for me. There is alot of talk about people being allergic to gluten - don't know what that is all about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Buffy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I see you on the web sight a lot.
I also use the gluten with the bread flour and it has worked for me too but there is still something missing in my dough. I thought it was the elasticity but I may be wrong. As I write this I am getting ready to prepare a "cold" pizza dough from Peter Reinhart. All the ingredients are chilled, it goes in the fridge over night and uses only bread flour. It's a different technique than I have ever used and I'm anxious to see my results.

Buffy
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reinhart Method Reply with quote

Hmmm... the perfect pizza dough recipe? I'm still searching for that one...

I think the best tip I got from Peter Reinhart was to make my dough ahead of time and to let it proof overnight in the fridge. I really think that makes a difference in taste.

I have used high gluten flour and I liked the results, but I do not think it is necessary to use high gluten flour to make great pizza.

In my conversations with the Legends of Pizza,
Smile (http://legendsofpizza.com/), both Reinhart and Brian Spangler did not use high gluten flour. They both contend you do not need to over knead your dough to get good results. As a matter of fact, Spangler uses an artisan flour made by Gold Medal.

I really like Sir Lancelot (from King Arthur), which is their high gluten pizza flour. They recommend using a mixer to knead the dough. I mixed it by hand anyway and got good results.

Most of my pizzas though are made with a mixture of bread flour and all purpose. I think it works for me.

Again my personal rule of thumb is: whatever tastes best to you.

By the way, Peter Reinhart's Ameican Pie,
http://www.pizzatherapy.com/ameripie.htm, has a great New York style pizza recipe in it.
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog

Last edited by pizza on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Buffy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information........thanks

My "cold" dough was probably the best crust I've made to date. We had our friends from NY over and they gave it a thumbs up which is huge. I have not been able to fine the high gluten flour by King Arthur. All I can find is their bread flour which I'm using. For some reason they do not carry it in our local stores (Texas)

I may try going on the internet.

Thanks again!
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned that your dough needed "something."

What do you think that something is? There area quite a few variables when it comes to dough - honey, tubinado or white sugar? Or sugar at all? How much yeast? Breadmaker, mixer, or by hand? Rolling pin or toss? Thick or thin? Stuffed crust? Red sauce or white? On and on - nothing is wrong, it's a matter of preference. You keep experimenting and tweaking it, one day - there it is!

I have started substituting 1/4 C of red wine, or a dry white, for 1/4 C of water in my recipe, which calls for 1 C of water.

I only do pizza on a charcoal grill. I have abandoned the oven. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer the grill (maybe it's the challenge!).

Rule of thumb: Try something. If it doesn't work, try something else. You can always go back to what didn't work in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: